We were able to save significant time using K Data Engineering
Tools on two projects over the past 12 months (2003). The first
project was about 500 circuits and the second one was about 2000
On the first project we used more of a conventional approach for
us which is to select the equipment that each circuit went from
and to without connecting wires to terminals.
On the second project we actually connected wires to terminals.
This method, surprisingly to us, actually saved us more time than
on the first project. Using this method, K Data, Inc. added a
module to their cable schedule so that we could export our data
to a file that we used with our previously obsolete software to
automatically draw our electrical interconnection diagrams. This
provided us with the extra benefit of resurrecting our proprietary
software developed over several years in the early 1990’s.
By using this new software, we were able to save time on both
projects using built in tools.
• We used the cable types report to total all lengths of
• We used the wire and cable sleeves report to get a count of sleeves
for wire numbers
• We used the wire numbers report to build a list of wire
numbers to be printed
• We used the conduit fill, tray fill and wire way fill reports to size all conduits,
cable trays and wire ways.
• We were able to quickly view all equipment at the end
of the project to verify which equipment was out of the original
scope of work and re-coupe payment for scope changes.
K Data trained 2 of our guys who had never even scheduled cables
before to use the cable scheduler module on the bigger project.
Although it took longer to schedule cables than normal, the extra
time was made up for on the interconnection diagrams and we expect
that the next time we use the software our guys will be acclimated
to it (and to scheduling cables) and they will be much more efficient
on future projects.
One of our guys spent 3 weeks drawing the interconnection diagrams
for one panel which was 6 drawings. Once we adapted our software
to work with K Data software we created 150 more interconnection
diagrams in 3 weeks.